Automation Maturity Model
Another page under construction ...
Let's automate our acceptance tests, incrementally with a low hanging fruit strategy.
- Zero automation
- Start (looking for a better name)
Each level encompasses the previous ones.
The five levels reminded me of the Capability Maturity Level, hence the name.
- No automation at all : tests are described in textual procedures and are played manually, a process that is tedious and error-prone
- Tests execution automated : the tests can be executed in one shot.
- Verification : the tests are able to verify the system' behavior and to exit with a PASS/FAIL criteria (unique result)
- Start : the tests now start and stop the system under test
- Configuration : the tests setup the system to fit their needs
- Installation : the system is automatically compiled and deployed from the configuration management system prior the tests
Level five is Click-to-Test, or one-button testing.
TextTest is an astute way to automate the verification of the results of the tests.
rf.eerf@sartnap:otliam - v0.03